Douglas J. Rudman
I am a licensed Florida attorney and an LL.M. graduate of Temple University's top ranked Trial Advocacy Program. This academic training, coupled with my hands-on legal experience, has afforded me a strong foundation in litigation and trial practice. I am a former prosecutor dedicated to zealous and aggressive representation in Traffic, DUI, Misdemeanor and Felony Criminal Defense cases.
In 2005, I was appointed as a prosecutor with the Office of the State Attorney for the 15th Judicial Circuit, Palm Beach County, Florida. During my time with the State Attorney's Office, I sat first chair in over one hundred criminal cases that went to trial; most of which were argued before a jury.
I was first assigned to the Misdemeanor County Court Division where I prosecuted misdemeanor criminal law violations, including but not limited to, Traffic Crimes, Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Reckless Driving and Assault/Battery.
In 2007, I was appointed to the Felony Division prosecuting law violations such as, but not limited to, Burglary, Drug Crimes, Aggravated Assault/Battery, Financial Crimes and Fleeing & Eluding Police. I was assigned to the Felony Family Violence Unit in 2009.
My responsibilities included evaluating and rendering filing decisions on felony domestic violence arrests made in Palm Beach County. I retained and prosecuted the most serious of those offenses, including but not limited to, Attempted First Degree Murder, Attempted Second Degree Murder with a Firearm, Sexual Battery, Aggravated Battery with a Firearm and Aggravated Assault/Battery.
In private practice, I have dedicated myself towards pursuing justice those who are accused of committing crimes. I advocate for, and strive to find, sentencing alternatives to jail or prison for those who are suffering from drug, alcohol and/or dual diagnosis disorders. I have addressed numerous schools, community groups and programs in order to educate both young adults and adults about the criminal justice system, domestic violence and the penalties associated with drug and alcohol related crimes.
It is my experience as a prosecutor that makes me a zealous defense attorney and I am proud of my years serving the citizens of Palm Beach County. I will be just as proud to serve you, my client, with the same zeal and aggressiveness.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Traffic Infractions
- Federal Crimes
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Florida, 2005
- District of Columbia, 2012
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2012
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- LL.M. - 2005
- Major: Trial Advocacy
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2003
- Columbia College, Chicago, Illinois
- B.A. - 2000
- Major: Communications
Honors and Awards
- SuperLawyers - 2013 List of Rising Stars (Florida)
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers (Florida)
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 40 Trial Lawyers under 40 (Florida)
- National Advocacy for DUI Defense - Top 100 DUI Lawyers (Florida)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2010 - Present
- Palm Beach County Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2010 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Office of the State Attorney - 15th Judicial Circuit, Assistant State Attorney, 2005 - 2010
Pro Bono Activities
- Palm Beach County Youth Court Diversion Program - Volunteer Judge, 2005 - Present
- English (Primary)